Seniors on Vancouver Island
Residences and Resources
A wide range of accommodation and services for Seniors are offered throughout Chemainus and Cowichan regions.
- Biscay Manor Assisted Living - Duncan
- Dovehill House - 250-416-0332
- Cerwydden- Duncan
- Huckleberry House- Duncan
- La Rosa Gardens Retirement Community- Ladysmith
- The Oceanview- Crofton
- Alzheimer Society of Canada
- The Canadian Health Network
- BC Healthguide- helpful hints
- Aging and Medbroadcast.com
- Caregiver Network
- Health Canada: Aging and Seniors Includes Federal Seniors program information, the newsletter "Expression", Site for National Advisory Council on Aging and much more.
- Health Canada: Division of Aging and Seniors
- Canadian Association on Gerontology
Long term care and elder care information. Award winning American research site for professionals and family members.
- OSTOP, Osteoporosis Society of B.C. to promote awareness of osteoporosis, its causes and prevention; to facilitate research and to support those coping with osteoporosis.
Educational organization offering inexpensive, short-term, academic programs hosted by educational institutions around the world. Searchable index.
- Travel Information for Seniors
Home Exchange for vacation is not a new concept, however more of us, from all walks of life, are now doing it and not surprisingly, we seniors are becoming great fans of Home & Hospitality Exchanging.
What is Home Exchange? Home Exchanging or Home Swapping is when you agree to swap homes, and often cars, with someone; you stay in their home and they stay in yours. It is an economical way to holiday and an exciting way to travel, to experience other cultures and see other countries differently, through local eyes, not as a tourist.
What is Hospitality Exchange? This is when you take turns staying as guests in each other’s homes. This appeals to the more sociable amongst us and I think works particularly well for singles, who are often worried about travelling alone in a different city or country and it also helps to avoid the dreaded supplements that single travellers often have to endure.
What are the benefits? There are many, but saving money is the obvious one – with no accommodation and often no car rental costs, the savings can be substantial.
Home Exchange 50plus is specifically for the older traveller. Swap your home with other like minded seniors for holidays in your own country or worldwide and save money at the same time. Please visit our website and join us today – it’s FREE.
- Chemainus Family Eyecare
- Chemainus Seniors Drop-In Centre
- 50+ Computer Club
for Seniors by Seniors
call Nora 245-4212 for info
- Seniors Information Office- Ladysmith Resources Centre 245-0413
- Cowichan Seniors Advisory Society- 748-2133
- RCMP Victim Services - 245-2215
- Legal Information & Advocacy - 604-437-1940
- Horseshoes in the Park-Ladysmith call Stew Battie 245-2025